The Jackson Four have been impressing audiences across Australia and internationally since 2013. Recently they were the ‘surprise hit’ of the Devonport Jazz Festival 2017 with 3 sell out full house shows. Followed by an invitation to perform in the UK during the international Edinburgh festival. Their latest release, ‘Kool Kats – The Jackson Four’, also reached top 5 on the Australian Blues and Roots Radio Chart in September 2017.
The band has developed quite a following overseas. In the Southern U.S., Europe and especially in the U.K. Locally, they’ve appeared at festivals including the Wangaratta International Jazz, Marysville Jazz and Blues, Bendigo Blues and Roots, Devonport Jazz, By the Bay – Wine and Blues (Kingston), Eltham Jazz and Blues, Stonnington Jazz, Castlemaine Jazz, Mornington Winter Jazz and Frankston Waterfront to name just a few.
Previously In 2015, they received a fantastic reception with the launch of ‘Love the Life’ at the Bruthen Blues and Arts Festival in Victoria, Australia. Followed by airplay and positive reviews from Blues and Jazz radio across the country. The band also had the opportunity to visit New Orleans, Louisiana. There they found generous support from the local music community. Including program presenters on fabled radio station WWOZ, who continually played tracks from the ‘Love the Life’ throughout 2015. Helping build the band a growing following in the Southern U.S.
Knocked out by this initial reception, ‘Love the Life’ was released into the UK and Europe in September. And after only a few weeks entered the U.K top 50 Blues charts via airplay on more than 50 Blues programs. Going directly to number 17 within a month. This was topped off with nominations for U.K. ’Blues CD of the month’ in November. Positive reviews and acclaim followed in the European musical press. With Keys and Chords magazine, Belgium giving ‘Love the Life’ 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Following up on their UK success, members of the band made a short promotional visit to the UK in July 2016 with ‘Live at the Western Port Festival’. A promo EP especially produced for U.K. Blues and Jazz radio. Supporting the release, appearances at renowned Blues and Jazz clubs followed. Including the ’Ain’t Nothin but the Blues Bar’, Soho, ‘The Alley Cat Club’, Covent Garden and East End Jazz Club, ‘The Royal Inn on the Park’. Receiving an enthusiastic welcome from London’s Blues and Jazz audiences alike.
In 2017 the band has released, ‘Kool Kats -The Jackson Four’. Launched across Australia on ABC Radio Drive in a live to air performance concert at Devonport Jazz 2017.
The UK launch followed when the band were invited to Edinburgh in August to perform a one hour live to air special during the International Edinburgh Festival on Scottish FM Radio and broadcast across the US on Pure Jazz Digital.
‘Kool Kats – The Jackson Four’ digital release and CD takes the band confidently further on their journey into the blues, the sounds and rhythms of New Orleans and swingin’ jazz styles that they just love to explore.
The band’s distinctive style and sound is centred around the classic Hammond B3 organ. With interplay from soulful sax and vocals. All driven by a strong swing, jazz, Latin rhythm and percussion section. Their music is a journey into the crossroads where Blues and Jazz intersect. And a repertoire mixing the sounds of New Orleans, Chicago, New York and Memphis into their own interpretations of renowned favourites and hidden unknown gems that the band searches out for their set. [Songlist]
What the media and industry have been saying about The Jackson Four:
• “Three, Four, Five, Six Jacksons? Who cares? Yeah I reckon it sounds pretty good to me, I’ll be playing some more from them.” – Big Boy Bloater – The Blues Magazine Show –Team Rock Radio U.K.
• “Australia seems to be a bit of a Hammond hotbed, what with these guys, Clayton Doley and Lachy Doley! I’m playin’ more of the Jackson Four”. – Ashwyn Smyth – Digital Blues Show – Gateway 97.8FM and syndicated stations throughout Europe and U.S.
• “I had a feeling I was going to enjoy the Jackson Four, and boy did I! They sound like a bunch of real hip London Soho Jazzer/bluesmen. I’m nominating them for UK Blues CD of the month by the way.” – Down Home with the Howling Dick Show – Hastings Radio U.K.
• “I just love that big Hammond B3 sound; it’s a magic debut CD from these guys from Melbourne, Australia!” – Tony Corner – ‘Blues Corner’ Firebrand Rock Radio U.K.
• “We love the life and certainly this four!” – Rootsville.eu – Online Blues magazine – Netherlands
• Leslie Keros – ‘Messin’ with the Blues’ 90.9fm WDCB – Chicago “Thanks for the music, loved it!”
• Peter Merrett (Mr. Doo-Wop), Malt Shop Hop PBS 106.7FM “Wonderful album, very classy!”
• Mark Landesman – ‘The Sunday Morning Jazz Set’ WWOZ 90.7FM – New Orleans “I previewed all the tracks and I liked them all.”
• John Carver – ‘Across The Tracks’ PBS 106.7FM – “Good fun, good playing and good time, I know you’ll enjoy the Jackson Four”